Ljubuski Fortress - Tvrđava Ljubuški, Ljubuski, West Herzegovina Canton, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In the Middle Ages, above Ljubuški, on the top of Buturovice, a fortress was built that is usually attributed to Duke Stjepan, although it is older than him, and Ljubuški is first mentioned in written sources on February 21, 1444 under the name Lubussa.
The fortress complex consists of two parts. The quadrangular central tower, popularly called "Herceguša", built at the end of the 14th or the beginning of the 15th century, and the perimeter wall in the shape of an irregular polygon with massive towers, built in the Ottoman period after 1472. OLD TOWN IN LJUBUŠKO was declared a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina in October 2003.
Sometime before 1477, the city fell into Turkish hands and became a border fortress with a strong garrison. The Turks converted the fortress into a military residence, with all the accompanying facilities. After 1835, the Ljubus fortress lost its defensive and strategic role.
Sourse: ljubuski.ba